Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Balsamic Porkchops

I love pigs.  Not just because they are cute little animals (especially the teacup ones), but because they are delicious.  I can't think of one pork product that I don't like.  Bacon.  Ham.  Porkchops.  Pork ribs.  Mmmm...nope not one pork product that I don't like!

Last night I thawed out some porkchops, but I wasn't totally sure what I was going to do with them.  I thought about maybe a pork stirfry, or just simply grilling them with some season salt, but I wanted something a little more glamorous.  Yes, Paleo can be glamorous!

I found a recipe for lamb chops and then tweaked it a little.  Here's the result:

Balsamic Porkchops
4 pork chops (bone out, thick cut)
3/4 tsp ground rosemary
1/2 tsp ground thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Tbls EVOO
1/2 c balsamic vinegar
3/4 c beef broth
1 tsp garlic
1 Tbls butter (optional--depends how strict Paleo you are)

Mix rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper and sprinkle on both sides of each chop.
 In a pan, heat up oil on med-high heat until the oil starts to smoke--if you want a good sear, it MUST be super hot/smoking oil or else the chops will absorb the oil instead of cook.  For the thickness of my chops, I seared each side for 5 minutes, which left the middle a very very light pink.  If you don't want pink, I suggest going 6-7 minutes on each side.
 When the chops are done, take them out and keep them warm in a preheated oven or in the microwave.  Add the garlic to the pan and cook for a couple minutes, then add your vinegar and broth.  Stir often and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half--it should thicken and be a little sticky.
 At this point, you can add the butter if you choose.  It's good either way, so don't feel like you have to if you're trying to be strict Paleo here.
I served with steamed cauli and it was delish!  H said that the glaze wasn't as flavorful as he'd expected and would prefer A1 but he's a boy, what does he know about glamorous food?!  :)  I thought it was a great flavor--a little sweet because of the vinegar, but a perfect compliment to the savory!  The chops by themselves without the glaze are still really tasty, too.  Enjoy!

xoxo, M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...