Sunday, June 26, 2011

Paleo Mayo

Making my own mayo has always been a scary idea.  Partially because I didn't want to know what was in it, partially because I was scared that there was no way it could taste as good as regular mayo, and partially because I'm brand loyal to Hellmans.  But I did it--I made my own mayo!  I was tired of not being able to have tuna salad or egg salad, and I want to make a Paleo BLT pizza (I'll get to that recipe later), all of which require mayo.  So after some searching and reading around, I found a good recipe at Everyday Paleo.  It's mild (a little more mild than store-bought mayo) but just as creamy and delicious!

Paleo Mayo

1 egg (let it come to room temperature)
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
1 cup mild olive oil (not EVOO)


In a food processor, crack in one egg and add the ground mustard and lemon juice.  Mix until it has thickened up a little bit and is a lighter/pale yellow color.

Here's the tricky part:  SLOWLY add the olive oil while continuing to blend the mixture.  I mean seriously slowly.  If you add it too fast, your mayo won't emulsify and it'll get weird.  The best way to do this is to drizzle in about 1 teaspoon at a time through the small opening in the lid of your food processor.  If you don't have a small hole or opening (the one in mine is seriously super tiny, but it worked perfectly) then open the lid, drizzle about 1 teaspoon onto the mixture, then blend well.  Continue to add the olive oil very slowly until it's all combined. 

Adding 1 cup of oil slowly took me almost 5 minutes.  Like I said, it should be very slow.  Once it's all added, blend for another 15 seconds, then transfer to a container and put in the fridge.  I put mine in a washed out sauce jar (yay recycling!).  The mayo will continue to thicken in the fridge.

I used mine to make egg salad:
Enjoy!

xoxo, M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...