Monday, June 20, 2011

CrossFit: 6/21/11

I love CrossFit.

I know that probably sounds cheesy, like a shameless plug, but it's true.  It pushes me harder than anything I've done so far, it challenges me, it makes my muscles hurt in an oh-so-good way, and it is building muscles that I didn't even know existed.  No seriously---I'm finding muscles in my arms and abs that were like Sasquatch: I've heard the rumors and myths that they existed, but no physical proof had ever surfaced...until now! :)

I'm doing 2 workouts on CrossFit days:  one at the local gym in the morning (running, strength training, flirting with the old men...the usual) and then CrossFit stuff in the evening.  It's such a great feeling to get in 2 workouts in one day, but I know that the next morning I'm going to hurt when I need help putting my shirt on or pulling up my pants.  Totally worth it!

Today was great.  Ran 2 miles at the gym in the morning, then did chest presses, lat pulls, leg presses, triceps pull-downs, and worked on my dips.  The cute old man gave me some pointers on doing dips better and how to do other lifts that will build up my dips--he was so cute!  (Don't judge, I totally have a soft spot for cute old men)  Then I came home, munched down some leftover ribs from this weekend (with Dad's special dry rub--no BBQ sauce here!)  and some Brussel sprouts and cukes, plus my glucosamine pills.  Stupid dancer knees.  We had bakes fish, salad, and cukes for dinner, then it was off to CrossFit.

John pushed us tonight--we ran, did squats and kettlebell swings for a warm-up, then learned how to deadlift and do thrusters with the barbell, and then did our WOD:  AMRAPS (as many reps as possible) of 8 thrusters (35lb bar), 10 box jumps, and 5 burpees in 9 minutes.  I got through 4 full reps and then 4 more thrusters before the time was up, and I'm pretty dang proud! I set my goal at 4, and when there was only 45 seconds left and I had hit 4, I pushed myself to get in the last few thrusters just to go above my goal.  It felt so good!!  Granted, now I can't really lift my arms above my chest, and my legs feel all wobbly, but it feels so good to hurt like this.  Honestly, I feel like if I don't hurt some after a workout or the next day, then I didn't push myself hard enough.  Don't get me wrong, I don't mean "hurt to the point that I can't move and I cry a little inside every time I breathe" when I say hurt, but I want a little pain in my muscles the next day to know that yes, I'm pushing myself and yes this is going to be good for me.

I hurt.  But I hurt so good.  Kinda like...
Now, go dance around to this video like a fool :)

xoxo, M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...