Monday, August 1, 2011

Today's WOD

I've been a bad CrossFitter.  I couldn't even tell you the last time we went to CrossFit down in Findlay, and we've been bad about hitting the gym the past week.  H and I have been so busy with prepping him for the Army, job hunting, and all my Avon stuff (I've been recruiting new reps like crazy!) and we've really gotten out of the habit of the gym.  I hate it--I feel like I'm being a waste, and I feel more guilty than you can possibly imagine!  We've done a little bit of stuff around here, though.  We've done some weight circuits at the house, and H has been rucking to prep for the Army, so my weight hasn't been going up or anything...it just hasn't gone down either.  Putting on my bathing suit, though, you can clearly see that my love handles and muffin top are diminishing, and I'm leaning out!

H has to hit 22% body fat within the next week if he wants to get his special forces contract for the Army, so it's been strict Paleo around here.  I'm okay with that---I think I needed to refocus myself anyway.  I made homemade apple chips using our dehydrator the other day so I can have something to munch (thanks Sweets and Sneakers on the Go, which is written by a college friend of mine, for the idea!) and H made homemade beef jerky in the dehydrator so we can have some quick protein after the gym or on the road.  We've been eating a TON of eggs and steak lately, and I don't think our fridge has been without peppers in almost a month thanks to Berman Orchards in Port Clinton.  (They also have the most INCREDIBLE Georgia peaches, which we buy in large quantities since it's an hour drive for us to get there, but it's so worth it---if you're even remotely in the area, you need to make visiting Bergman's a top priority!) 

So we've been refocused on eating strict Paleo again to help H cut body fat, and man has it done wonders for him!!  He's leaning out like crazy and it's making me so jealous!  It's like he eats lean for 2 days and drops an inch off his waist; I eat lean for 2 weeks and I'm lucky if I drop an inch---soooOOOOooo unfair!  Stupid boys and their stupid ability to drop weight easy...  ::pout::

So I'm like 25 pounds from my goal weight, which makes me really happy because that means I've lost 20 pounds already.  I bought my wedding dress for our JoP wedding in November, and I'm hoping that they'll need to take it down a bit when I go in for my last fitting!  ::fingers crossed::  Today, though, H really kicked my butt at the gym.  Our CrossFit Findaly gym is currently being moved to a new location and won't reopen until August 8, so we did our own WOD at the local college rec center:

The Dirty Thirty (as named by H)
5 squat to hang clean to push presses with dumbells
5 push ups
5 overhead toss-and-catches with a medicine ball
5 burpees
5 flutter kicks

Do this circuit 6 times, resting 45 - 60 seconds between each set.

Oh.  My.  Gosh.  I didn't think it would end up being that bad.  It's only 5 of each exercise at a time, right?  This kicked my butt.  By the time I got done with my sixth set, I was pretty sure I was going to throw up.  My shoulders hurt, and I know that because of the squats I'll be hurting tomorrow for sure.  PS. Prior to our WOD, we ran and did hang-clean skill sets.  Ouch.  On the bright side, afterwards we jumped in the pool and relaxed for a bit---nothing feels better after a hot, sweaty workout than floating in a cool pool.

So now we're back on track.  I feel good great!  :)

xoxo, M

4 comments:

  1. Melissa - I love this blog! I have heard a lot about Paleo, I can't wait to learn more about it by reading your posts. I have been doing a little crossfit here and there - it is so INTENSE! I totally feel you, I only work out for 20 minutes and feel like I'm going to die - in a good way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paleo can be hard to get into at first, because it can be such a drastic change. If you're interested in trying it, I recommend just trying to do it for a weekend and see what you think. And CrossFit is so intense!!! I love it! I love that I can do a 20 minute workout and feel like I've accomplished more in that 20 minutes than a regular hour-long workout! Thanks for reading Katrina! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the med ball tosses from like a sitting/crunch position (tossing as you sit up?) Can you explain the squats? Id love to try these

    ReplyDelete
  4. Medicine ball tosses were done just standing in one place and tossing the medicine ball over your head and catching it (to work your arms) over your head (so the ball never goes below your shoulders).

    Squats: Start with one dumbell on the outside of each foot, with feet shoulder-width apart. Squat down, pick up the dumbells and stand up, keeping the dumbells at your side. Do a hang-clean press to bring the dumbells to your shoulders, and then push press them over your head. Lower the dumbells to you sides, then squat to put the dumbells back on the floor where they started. That's one.

    If you need to see what a hang clean is (because it's kind of confusing/hard to explain via writing) check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXbRn1tbOoE&feature=related

    Good luck!!! You are rockin' this Mama! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...